Sunday, April 24, 2011

So long PT...

Rogues Blog #16:
Well, it's hard to believe my 6 month stay in lovely Port Townsend is winding down... this time next weekend I'll be on the road heading south for home and Playa del Rey. So this will be my final blog, at least from here. It's been a marvelous journey. I've made significant progress on the book and "Rogues" would certainly not be "Rogues" had I not immersed myself in the region and its people, both of whom will remain with me for a long, long time. I've tried to keep these blogs short and hopefully those of you who have read some or all of them have found something of interest. I've mentioned a number of people who have been invaluable in this writing adventure and wanted to focus on a few more in the PT finale - so bear with me, this blog is somewhat longer than the others.

First, the team at Orca Network - a marvelous organization based on nearby Whidbey Island involved in the health and well-being of large mammals, including orcas of course. Howard Garrett, his wife, Susan, and Marty Crowley have all agreed to provide their advice and expertise to ensure I incorporate the best of the best on orcas (and get it right!). They welcomed me into the fold with open arms and their input is invaluable.

Second, Anna and Peter Quinn are the proprietors of one of the coolest businesses around, The Writers' Workshoppe in PT. Really good folks - smart, talented, and fun. I took a 7-week "finish that novel" workshop with Anna and five other writers that was extremely helpful. If you, or someone you know, is into writing or wants  to be a writer, check out their website - http://www.writersworkshoppe.com/home - lots of cool stuff there.

And finally, I want to thank David and Jane Lambkin for their support, help, and most of all their friendship. David is a former LAPD homicide detective who started the department's cold case unit. Jane worked in the records department at LAPD. They've been married for more than three decades so clearly not all cops land in divorce court. David has been advising me on the investigation aspects of the story (the murder of marine biologist Katrina Kincaid) and we have hung out together on many occasions. He also hooked me up with Cloyd Steiger, a homicide cop with Seattle PD (and real character) who has agreed to let me use his name in the book. The Lambkin's rock! (So does their twisted sense of humor).

Okay, that's it for now... the plan is to wrap the book early this summer and fire it off my literary agent in NYC. Thanks for checking out the blog and look for "Rogues" in a bookstore and/or online one of these days soon. And remember the mighty orcas: "They Roam the Seas in Freedom, With No Enemy Save Man."
Best,
- bill



Susan, Howard, Marty in Langley


Peter & Anna Quinn in PT








Jane & David Lambkin at Manresa Castle
Sunset over Port Townsend

No comments:

Post a Comment